The history of early and Government schools which served the people of Port Adelaide
The extent to which educational curriculum and methods, and the buildings in which they were presented and practiced, have changed in Port Adelaide over the last one hundred and fifty years is astounding.
The next one hundred and fifty years will see even greater changes, for the one thing we can be sure of is change. Throughout all the changes the schools in the Port Adelaide area have served the local community well and contributed in the moulding of many notable citizens of State or National repute. May they continue so to do.
Errol Chinner’s first contact with the Port Adelaide area was when he boarded with his aunt and uncle at Swan Terrace, Semaphore, iin 1954 while studying Leaving Honours at Adelaide Boy’s High School. His uncle was the Chief Engineer on the M. V. Minnipa and his cousin attended LeFevre Peninsula Primary School.
He returned to the area as Deputy Headmaster at LeFevre Peninsula Primary School during 1969-70, and then again as Principal in 1975-79, during which period he took up residence in Semaphore. He was Principal of Ethelton Primary School during the historic State Sesquicentennial and National Bicentennial years, being there from 1985 to 1991.
He was President of the Port Adelaide Historical Society from 1984 to 1988 and has served on the Executive continuously since those years.