BRIDGES OF THE PORT ADELAIDE RIVER
CUSTOM HOUSE BRIDGE 1840-1851
Adjacent to the Custom House and spanning inlet that ran toward St Vincent Street, a wooden bridge that connected McLaren Street and North Parade.
LAVINGTON BRIDGE 1858
Crossed Hawker’s Creek, Semaphore (called the Penny Bridge). Hawker’s Creek was an inlet from the river.
NORTH ARM ROAD BRIDGE 1857-1873
Crossed Magazine Creek to reach both North Arm and New Haven, suburbs planned in the 1850’s.
TEMPORARY BRIDGE 1876-1878
Crossed river at end of St Vincent Street as a replacement for the timber Port Bridge.
PORT BRIDGE 1859-1876
A timber structure at end of St Vincent Street, giving access to Lefevre Peninsula.
JERVOIS BRIDGE 1878-1969
At the end of St Vincent Street, giving access to Lefevre Peninsula via Glanville.
JERVOIS BRIDGE 1969
Replacement for the original Jervois Bridge and built alongside the 1878 structure.
S.A. COMPANY’S TEMPORARY BRIDGE 1857-1858
Spanned Company’s Basin, now No.1 Dock, replacing Tam O’Shanter Bridge.
TAM O’SHANTER BRIDGE 1851-1857
Spanned Company’s Basin. Named after the ship that ran aground in the river in 1837.
COMPANY’S SWING BRIDGE 1858-1882
Replaced Tam O’Shanter Bridge.
FISHER BRIDGE 1880-1935
Spanned No. 1 Dock at entrance to Port Dock.
ROBINSON BRIDGE 1883-1935
Spanned No. 1 Dock. Replaced Company Swing Bridge.
BOAT BRIDGE 1911-1927
At No. 2 Quay (Tragedy Dock) to access industries.
TUCKER BRIDGE 1892-1911
At the entrance to Coalshed Creek, an inlet of the river, to give access to wharves and Industries.
RAILWAY BRIDGE 1911
Carries the Outer Harbor rail line over the river.
BIRKENHEAD BRIDGE 1940
At end of Nelson Street, giving access to Lefevre Peninsula via Birkenhead.
TORRENS ISLAND BRIDGE 1963-1965
Crossed the North Arm, giving access to the Torrens Island Power Station.
GARDEN ISLAND BRIDGE 1965
Crosses the North Arm giving access to the Island.
Tom ‘Diver’ Derrick Bridge 2008
Commonly referred to as the ‘Diver’ Derrick Bridge, is an opening single-leaf bascule road bridge over the Port River, Port Adelaide, in South Australia. It opened on 1 August 2008. It is located between Docks 1 and 2 at Port Adelaide and links to Francis Street to the east and Victoria Road to the west.
The Mary MacKillop Bridge 2008
Is a bascule bridge that carries the Dry Creek-Port Adelaide railway line over the Port River.