Port Adelaide Events

A Chronological list of Port Adelaide things that have happened in Port Adelaide from 1836 until today.

Port Adelaide historical Society

YEARDISTRICTDESCRIPTIONMONTHDATECOMMENT
1831Port RiverPort River inlet possibly sighted from Mount Lofty by Captain Collet Barker and some of his party.419
1834Port RiverCaptain John Jones claimed to have entered a fine harbour, north of the inlet discovered by Barker. 1Unsubstantiated
1836Port RiverColonel William Light and his crew explored Port Creek. Light decided on the site of Adelaide with the Port creek as it's harbour., 1121
1836Port AdelaideDiscovery, Flinders.Baudin.deFreycinet. also Hart. Barker probably missed the Port inlet
1836Port AdelaideDiscovery, Rapid with Light & Capt. Pullen had Capt. Jones report and investigated further
1836Port AdelaideImmigration, Almost all emigrants arrived by sailing ship for the first 30 years of the colony
1837Port AdelaideOld Port (First Landing Place), Captain Lipson arrives.16From Buffalo
1837Port RiverCol. Light chose landing place, End of Old Port Rd.425Gov. proclaimed
1837Lefevre PeninsulaFirst named after Sir J. G. Shaw Lefevre.63Gov. Hindmarsh
1837Port AdelaideCapt. John Hart, Returned to South Australia in Isabella, partnership with Hack, into everything
1838Port AdelaideCanal at first landing place, J. B. Hack contractor2
1838AlbertonSection 423 (134 acres) selected by the South Australian Company; Named Albert Town512Subdivided 1939
1838QueenstownSection 443 (134 acres) selected on behalf of Richard Blundell. Later named Queenstown512Subdivided 1940
1838Port Adelaide1st vessel registered, Hero103Barton Hack
1838Port AdelaideFirst Port Adelaide River Regatta held on 2nd anniversary of proclamation of S.A.
1839AlbertonShipwright's Arms, Port Road323To 1876
1839Port AdelaideFirst sod on road to new Port, turned by Governor Gawler52590 chains long
1839Port AdelaideSect.2011 selected by the South Australia Company for development as a more convenient harbour.5Road begun
1839Port AdelaidePort Hotel (prior to license), 25 North Parade10October 1838 to May 1951
1839Port Adelaide1st Mail from Adelaide, Mounted Police escort
1839AlbertonShipwrights Arms Inn.
1839AlbertonSection 423 subdivided by the S.A. Company as Albert Town.
1840Port AdelaideHelp Me Through the World, North Parade326To Ship Inn 1842
1840Port AdelaidePrince Albert Hotel101To 1842
1840Port AdelaideMcLaren Wharf/ Govt. Wharf, Proclaimed new port1014Commercial Rd.
1840Port AdelaideBrig Rapid lost, Voyage to China1126
1840Port Adelaide"Courier", First locally registered steamship South Australia .Felix & Van Dieman's Land Steam Navigation Co
1840Alberton61 houses 235 inhabitants, Water from Halfway
1840Port AdelaideNorth Parade Bridge, Joined McLaren Parade, to Port Adelaide.Demolished 1851
1840Port AdelaideSmelters, silver lead discovered Glen Osmond.
1840Port AdelaideStirling Mill, McLaren Parade later became Futcher & Irvine's Mill
1841Port AdelaideCommercial Hotel (rebuilt 1906, Comm. Road114Burnt 1857
1841Port AdelaideSt Pauls Church opened, Site present church2Angl. Church
1841Port AdelaideHen And Chickens, North Parade313To 1846
1841Port AdelaideSteamboat Hotel (to Dec. 29), Reopens Dec. 30 as Jolly Tar 1230To 1842
1841AlbertonWesleyan Methodists started meeting in private homes.
1842Old PortShip Inn, End Old Port Rd323To 1842
1842Old PortCaledonian Hotel, End Old Port Road323To 1842
1842Port AdelaideShip Inn North Parade, Mildred/Nelson StsBurnt '69 To 1906
1842AlbertonCongregational Chapel built in King Street, Alberton., Services ceased in 1860s and building subsequently sold as a dwelling
1844AlbertonRichard Tapley, 66 acres crop65 cattle
1846AlbertonFirst burial in alberton Cemetery, 1028Last burial 1930
1847Port AdelaideBritish Hotel, N. Parade/Nelson St325
1848AlbertonCoromandel Inn, Port Road Alberton316Becomes Alberton hotel in 1878
1848Port AdelaideGovt. Schooner Yatala, Launched Mrs Lipson728Jammed on slip
1848AlbertonYatala Smelting Works, Erected
1848Port AdelaideCoppins erected theatre, White Horse CellarsCr St Vin/Comm.
1848RosewaterGolden Phoenix, Yatala Newcastle StreetTo 1857
1848QueenstownSection 443 (134 acres), Bought for 900 pound ($l800) and laid out as Queen's Town by Edward StephensEdward Stephens
1849Port AdelaideRailway Hotel, St Vin/Comm. Cm.To 1851
1849Port AdelaideCongregational Church, St Vincent Street
1849Port AdelaideFirst Methodist Church, Quebec Street
1849SemaphoreGovernment surveyors surveyed much of Lefevre?s Peninsula (the apostrophe ?s? was dispensed with many decades later) including the site of the future Township of Semaphore into 10 acre (approximately 4ha) sections.,
1850Port AdelaideLand Sect 2112 purchased, Covered most of P.A.48J. Hart & friends
1850AlbertonAlbert Hotel, Commercial Road620To 5/4/1860
1850Port AdelaideFisher Bridge, Ent. To New Dock920Demolished June 1935
1850Port AdelaideBritannia Hotel, 130 Lipson Street103Rebuilt 1898
1850PortlandSubdivided by Port Land Co., Adj. Tam O'Shanter Between Old /New Ports
1850MidlungaPier Hotel To 1851,
1850Port AdelaideNautical Museum, First nautical museum collection in Mechanics Institute corner Nile Street and Mildred Street
1851Port AdelaideWhite Horse Cellar, St Vincent/Quebec33To 10/12/1876
1851Port AdelaidePanama first ship on slip, Fletcher's Slip35
1851Port AdelaideCarpenter's Arms, St Vincent/Robe Sts320Burnt 1856
1851MilungaWaterman's Arms To 1851,
1851Port AdelaideWesleyan Methodist Church, Quebec Street
1851BirkenheadFirst slip est. Birkenhead H. C. Fletcher From Kang. Is.,
1851Port AdelaideInstitute opened July 13,
1851Port AdelaidePort Admiral Hotel from Railway Hotel,
1851AlbertonFirst Post Office Port Road,
1851Lefevre PeninsulaPost Office opened Number given 1857, Dec.
1851Port AdelaidePrince's Hotel (Var. names), corner of North Parade and Mundy StTo 1906
1851SemaphoreSemaphore Hotel opened at Scarborough on the south corner of Blackler Street and the Esplanade.Burnt down 25 November 1859; rebuilt and traded until c1866
1852Port AdelaideSt Paul's Church, Second building2
1852Port AdelaideTrinity House appointed, Pilotage/Wharves105Lacked funds
1853Lefevre PeninsulaVerge Hotel To 1853,
1853Port AdelaideWharf Hotel, 18 Todd St/Mc LarenTo 1906
1853BirkenheadShipwright's Arms, Site of Jenkin's SlipTo 1857
1854ExeterLefevre Hotel, 152 Semaphore RdChanged to 1879
1854Port AdelaideTam O'Shanter Bridge, Between McLaren/Levi WharvesDemolished 1857
1854Port AdelaideCongregational Church, St Vincent Street
1854Port AdelaideP.A. Harbor Trust appointed, Finance DeepeningRaising P.A.
1854AlbertonWesleyan Methodist Church,
1854Port AdelaideHarts Mill, Built the Mill Princes Wharf facing Mundy Street
1854SemaphoreLefevre?s Hotel first licensed (Licence transferred to the newly-built Exeter Hotel in 1879).,
1855Lefevre PeninsulaNorth Arm Hotel, 322to 25/5/1858
1855Port AdelaideThomas King's School, Near Grand Junc. Rd7
1855Port AdelaideFirst railway engines arrive, On board Theodore111From Plymouth
1855Port AdelaideTelegraph line, Adel/Pt Adel. Private Line1126James McGregor
1855Port AdelaideDeclared Corporate Town, First Council 18561227
1855BirkenheadBridgewater (Sects 700, 3Subdivided By Alfred Watts
1855QueenstownThe British Volunteer hotel, Queenstown, first licensed, 215 Port RoadBecomes White Swan in 1856 and Prince of Wales in 1857
1855BirkenheadLefevre Peninsula School Estblished, by John Millard
1855Port AdelaideFirst Photographer, Thomas Thompson
1855Port AdelaideHart's flour mill operational, Mundy Street
1855Port AdelaideWharf Dock Hotel (Dock Hotel 1860)Todd Street, rebuilt 1883Delicensed 1906
1855Port AdelaideSailor's Return Hotel Only in 1855
1856Port AdelaideRailway from Adelaide, 1st steam powered28Feb. 1 test run
1856Port AdelaideFirst Govt telegraph Adelaide to Port Adelaide218
1856Port AdelaideWhite Horse Cellars Fire419
1856QueenstownWhite Swan (from British Vol.) 215 Port Rdto 1857
1856Port AdelaideLass O'Gowrie Hotel, St Vincent St. Opposite Presb ChurchDelicensed 1906
1856PortlandPortland Hotel built (Demolished/Rebuilt 1913/4)
1856AlbertonAlberton Railway Station opened, Extended 1879; arcaded section fronting platform removed 1911
1856BirkenheadSandwell (Part Sect.916) Subdivided By South Australia Company.
1856QueenstownWhite Swan, 215 Port Roadformerly Brit. Volunteer
1856Port AdelaideCaptain Lipson resigned, Was Harbor Master
1856Port AdelaideGlobe Hotel, Site of Carp. Arms
1856BirkenheadBridgetown (Sect. 702), Subdivided By Harry Gilbert
1856PortlandPortland Hotel, 286 Commercial Rd
1856Port AdelaideWhite Hart HotelClosed 1880
1856Port AdelaideCorporation Formed
1856GlanvilleHall built for Captain Hart, 8 Park AvenueTower added 1865
1856Port AdelaidePort Dock Station, Original Corner of St. Vincent & Lipson Streets remodelled 1880, and renamed Port Dock 1916
1856Port AdelaideSignal Station, First Signalman William Uden.
1856SemaphoreAdelaide to Port Adelaide telegraph line extended to Semaphore under the Port River and underground in iron pipes. A telegraph office was opened near the Pilot Station.,
1857Port AdelaideFirst Presbyterian Church, Leadenhall Street2To 1882
1857Lefevre PeninsulaBridgewater Hotel, Formerly North Arm108Closed 1859
1857Port AdelaideMagazine Creek Bridge J, Destroyed by fire in 1873
1857Port AdelaideExchange Hotel, 1 Commercial Road2 name changes
1857GlebeAlberton Methodist Church, Port Road
1857QueenstownPrince of Wales (White Swan), 215 Port Road
1857Port AdelaideNorth Parade Fire, Fire destroyed North Parade in 1857119https://sahistoryhub.history.sa.gov.au/subjects/great-fires-of-port-adelaide
1857Port AdelaideOrient, SS Orient vanguard of the liner trade overseas with P & O. Orient. etc.
1858AlbertonAlberton Wesleyan Church opened on the corner Port Road and Glebe Street.425
1858QueenstownPrimitive Methodist Church.Smelter lit
1858AlbertonMethodist Church, Now Uniting
1858Port AdelaideSt Marys Church, Immaculate Concept.
1858Lefevre PeninsulaOld Fa(i)rlop Hotel, Closed 1859
1858Port AdelaideSouth Australia Company's Swing Bridge, No. 1 Dock
1858AlbertonPort Rd/Glebe St cr, Demol. 24/7/1882
1859SemaphoreThe Port Bridge (site of present Jervois Bridge); the first bridge across the Port River; opened for traffic in January.111Wooden Structure
1859Port AdelaidePort Adelaide Institute established. 3rd attempt (1851 54)93
1859PortlandPortland Estate District Council established.Closely packed allotments. Annexed 1884
1859ExeterLord Exmouth Hotel, 39 Exmouth Road
1859Port AdelaideDuke of Wellington Hotel, St Vincent StreetLicense was lost during the option poll in 1906
1859SemaphoreSemaphore Jetty Construction commenced.327
1860AlbertonBritish Standard Hotel licensed, 160 Port Road Alberton45License was lost during the option poll in 1906
1860SemaphoreSemaphore Jetty completed; 1900ft (580m) long x 9ft (2.7m) wide.4Extended to 2138ft (652m) in 1874.
1860AlbertonBritish Standard Hotel, 160 Port RoadClosed 1909
1860Port AdelaideMarine Board South Australia established.Harbor Trust/Trinity abolished
1860Port AdelaideSt Joseph's School
1861Port AdelaideEng. & Aust.Copper Co., Mundy Street
1862SemaphoreRoad from the jetty to the Port Bridge completed in July.7
1862Port AdelaideGrammar School established, P.A. Public School in 1876
1862BirkenheadTownship (Part Sect. 2012), Subdivided
1863Port AdelaideWesleyan Methodist Church, St Vincent Street1025
1863Lefevre PeninsulaGovernment Grant School, Dunniker/Mead Sts
1864AlbertonAlberton Baptist Church opened, Port Road17Sold 1999
1864GlanvilleDistrict Council established, 714Aug. 11 Rev. dat
1864Semaphore
Glanville
District Council of Glanville formed. The boundaries were incorrectly proclaimed in July and re-proclaimed on 11 August. They encompassed all the land between the sea coast and the ?Port Creek? from a little north of the present Grange railway line to a northern boundary running approximately in line with Exmouth Rd Exeter. (The Corporate Town of Semaphore was severed from both it and the DC of Lefevre?s Peninsula 20 December 1883. The remainder amalgamated with the DC of Woodville 5 January 1888.)811
1864Queenstown
Alberton
Queenstown and Alberton District Council formed.1020Annexed by Port Adelaide 1898
1864PortlandPrivate School, Clare Street Sarah Liscombe
1864SemaphorePeninsula Literary Institute formed. (Into recess 1880; books transferred to the new Semaphore Institute in 1884),
1865Port AdelaideSevere flooding, Embankments fail511
1865Port AdelaideTown Hall foundation stone, St Vincent Street610
1865Port AdelaideHannay, blacksmith91 Comm. Road
1865BirkenheadPrivate School Opened, By Caroline HarveyClosed 1871
1865Port AdelaideCannon Brewery, Comm. Rd./St Vin St.William Knapman
1865SemaphoreSemaphore Methodist Church
1865Port AdelaideRobin & LeMessurier's timber, Commercial/Lipson Sarnia MRobin & Hack '74
1866Port AdelaideAustralia's Pride Hotel, Cr Cannon/Robe St111Delicensed 1906
1866RosewaterFirst gas generated, 1117
1866Port AdelaideTown Hall opened, Clocktower 186610.6.'65 building comp.
1866BirkenheadPrivate School Opened, By Mary MillardClosed 1870
1866SemaphoreWesleyan Methodist Church,
1866Port AdelaideCongregational Church, Cr. St Vin/Lipson StsBurnt in April
1866RosewaterGas works established, SAGASCO
1866SemaphoreJetty Hotel on Semaphore Road opened, 25 Semaphore RoadRenamed the Federal Hotel in 1901
1867Port AdelaideDunn's Mill erected, Lipson Street1Demolished 1960
1867BirkenheadEdinburgh first ship on slip, Dunniker Slip313
1867Port AdelaideFleetwood, Draper. Fire927Neared Powder Mag.
1867YatalaDuke of Edinburgh (Gaswork, Junction RoadClosed 1881
1867Port AdelaideReticulated water, Important streets
1867Port AdelaideSussex Hotel (Cr Cannon St), Commercial RoadDelicensed 1906
1867PortlandHarrison's Flour Mill, beside Tam O'Shanter Ck
1867PortlandThistle Inn (Scotch Thistle '82, College PI/ Liddon StDelicensed 1906
1867BirkenheadFletcher's Second Slip, Dunniker Operation
1867Port AdelaideTelegraph Station, 29 North Parade
1867Port AdelaideDunns Mill, Lipson street Mill
1867SemaphoreSemaphore Hotel on Semaphore Road opened. (Largely rebuilt and third storey added c1927),
1867SemaphoreWesleyan Methodist (now Uniting) Church on Semaphore Road was opened.,
1868Port AdelaideCongregational Church on Commercial Road (4th building), 12Now Uniting
1868PortlandBible Christian Church,
1868Port AdelaideCongregational Church, Commercial Road
1868Port AdelaideHarrison's Mill, N of Portland Commercial Road end of Portland Canal
1869Port AdelaidePrince Albert Sailors' Home, Foundation stone218Demolished 1932
1869QueenstownQueenstown Church of Christ first meeting, Meeting was held King's Schoolroom, Port Adelaide1025
1869Port AdelaideRoyal S.A. Yacht Squadron, 115
1869Outer HarborLighthouse first lit, Light's PassageSuperseded 1901
1869Port AdelaideCommercial HotelRe, opened after fire
1869Port Adelaide Australian Clubhouse Hotel, Reb. '78Closed 1994
1869QueenstownChurch of Christ,
1869BirkenheadA. McFarlane & Sons Estab., Cruickshank's CnrMoved 1932
1869PortlandBible Christian Chapel, Clare Street
1869Port AdelaideRSAYS, Bucknall organized first Royal South Australian Yacht Squadron
1870Port AdelaideFootball Club formed, Glanville Hall Est.31Buck's Flat
1870AlbertonYatala Smelting Works, Fire727
1870SemaphorePost Office opened, Closed 187112Stn No. 299
1870Port AdelaideBower Buildings, 8 St Vin. (Dem.2000)Robe St.1898
1870GlanvillePipe Foundry, Ways & Works
1870Port AdelaidePA Rowing Club, PA Rowing Club formed 1870. Oldest rowing club in Aust. Bucknall great supporter
1871AlbertonSt Georges Anglican Church,
1871AlbertonMission Church established at Alberton by Anglicans., Est. by St Paul's Anglican Church
1871PortlandGas pipes laid in streets,
1871YatalaGasworks Hotel, Junction RoadClose '81
1871Port AdelaideDuke Edinburgh,
1871GlanvilleCumberland Hotel, 76 Causeway Road
1871SemaphoreA Post Office was opened at the Telegraph Station; Semaphore Beach; 3 April.,
1872Port AdelaideWorking Men's Assn formed, (Waterside Workers' Fed.)
1872GlanvilleAnglican Church,
1872PortlandReticulated water available,
1872GlanvilleAnglican Church, Sema4/ Causeway Port Bridge Rd
1872SemaphoreDist. Council Lefevre Penin., Formed
1872Port AdelaideInstitute est. general museum,
1872SemaphoreA Church of England ?Mission Church? opened on the corner of Semaphore Road and what is now Causeway Road 11 January.,
1872SemaphoreDistrict Council of Lefevre?s Peninsula proclaimed 11 April; comprising the entire Peninsula north of the boundary of the DC of Glanville. (The DC of Birkenhead was severed from it 22 February 1877; while the Corporate Town of Semaphore was severed from both it and the DC of Glanville 20 December 1883. The remainder was added to the DC of Birkenhead 7 August 1884.),
1873LargsTownship of Margate advert., 618
1873LargsAdvert changed to Largs, 72
1873LargsTownship extension advert., 811
1873Port AdelaideEight Hours movement comm, Applied to workforce93
1873Port AdelaideNew tug Sophia first tow, Hannah Nicholson1126
1873PortlandKing's Wharf consructed, To land silt for fill
1873Port AdelaideNorth Arm Bridge Burnt,
1874SemaphoreSt Margaret's Hospital, Foundation Stone914Mrs Musgrave
1874SemaphoreGeorge Shorney; Manager of John Dunn & Co?s flour mill in Port Adelaide; built a two-storey home on the east corner of Semaphore Road and Ward Street.,
1875SemaphoreTimeball Tower operational, 1 o'clock ball drops630Superseded 1932
1875GlanvilleSinclair Wharf opened, 630
1875SemaphoreTimeball Tower at the sea end of Semaphore Road operational 2 August. The ball was dropped daily at a fixed time to allow officers of newly-arrived vessels at the Semaphore Anchorage to check the accuracy of their chronometers., 82
1875Port AdelaideFormby fountain, Erected in Nile Street
1875Port AdelaideAdelaide Steamship Co., Established
1875Port AdelaideAdelaide Steam, Adelaide Steamship Co. launched with lst vessel Flinders
1875Port AdelaideCoast Steamships, Launched 1 month after Adelaide Steam. Subsidiary ships Ceres and Juno
1876Port AdelaideFamily Hotel (White Horse C.), St Vincent/Quebec1211To 11/12/1878
1876Port AdelaidePublic School opened, Lefevre Pen. Also
1876AlbertonToll House, Port Road, Used as Police St. Until 1984. Portable cells
1876Port AdelaideKent Hotel (now called Port Anchor), 45 Cannon StreetNow 15 Church Street, Port Adelaide
1876Port AdelaidePort Adelaide Institute opened cnr. Nile St and Commercial Road.,
1876SemaphoreLefevre?s Peninsula Public School opened on the east corner of Mead Street and Dunnikier (now Semaphore) Road; in the wake of the Education Act of 1875; which introduced compulsory (but not five days a week) schooling for 7-13 year olds. (In 1921 the school was divided into a Primary School and an Infant School.),
1877Port AdelaideDredge Willunga sinks, Last hopper dredge11153 days submerg
1877BirkenheadDistrict Council established, Severed from Lefevre222Annexed 1886
1877RosewaterDistrict Council established, 322Annexed 1899
1877Port AdelaideFerry Unique, First Trial Run1026Comm. Rd/ Birk.
1877AlbertonOval opened by P.A. Mayor, David Bower M.O.
1877Lefevre PeninsulaSchool, Behind Fletcher's SI.
1877Glanville1.0.0.F. Lodge No. 3, Met in Thornton Hot.
1877GlanvilleThornton Hotel (open prior), Hart StreetDelicensed 1906
1877RosewaterCouncil Chambers, RSL Hall 1937Restored 1998
1877PortlandTam O'Shanter Creek, Scheme to deepen
1877Port AdelaideMcColl's Hardware, 99 Lipson StreetNow stationers
1877Port AdelaideAdelaide Steamship Company Formed, South Australian and Victorian in 1877 early vessels to establish Adelaide Steamship Co.
1878SemaphoreThe Jervois Bridge; an iron swing bridge built to carry the railway line from Port Adelaide to Semaphore.was officially opened by and named after Governor Sir William Jervois on 6 February. (It replaced the timber Port Bridge.), 26
1878ExeterExeter Railway Station built, & Semaphore platform extended28from Evening Journal
1878SemaphoreSt Andrews Anglican Church, Foundation stone1026
1878PortlandFire Reel and instructions Acquired, 1212To 9/12/1884
1878BirkenheadBirkenhead Hotel , 3 Elder Road12171968 name change to Tavern
1878Port AdelaideCrooks & Brooker showrooms, 81-83 Comm. RoadLater Ezywalkin
1878Port AdelaideRoyal Arms Hotel, 275 St Vincent St
1878AlbertonAlberton Hotel, 124 Port Road -Prev. Coromandel Inn Delicensed 1906
1878Port AdelaideBrunswick Pier Hotel, 147 St Vincent St
1878Port AdelaidePrimitive Methodist Church,
1878RosewaterPrimitive Methodist Church,
1878Port AdelaideBlack Diamond HotelSt Vincent/Quebec,
1878GlanvilleBible Christian Church,
1878Port AdelaideP.A. News founded, To 1897 - back 1904 - Again in 1913
1878SemaphoreFirst major long-distance telephone call in Australia was made from Semaphore to Port Augusta (386 km).,
1878SemaphoreAdelaide to Port Railway extended to Semaphore and opened to general traffic on 7 January. It was routed from the original Port Adelaide Station via St Vincent Street with platforms at Glanville and Exeter being built soon after the opening.,
1878SemaphoreChemist shop opened by G.F. Ward at 41 Semaphore Road.,
1878SemaphoreThe first Baptist Church; a wooden building in Turton Street seating 200, had its opening service 24 November.,
1879EtheltonEthelton Hotel, 25 Carlisle Street311
1879AlbertonBible Christians commenced services, Services held in in Protestant Hall, Sussex Street, Alberton511
1879Port AdelaideSteam tram to Albert Park opened, Became horse-powered 1882522
1879QueenstownWhittaker Memorial Church, Primitive MethodistJan-001Bought by Church of Christ in 1900
1879Port AdelaideNewmarket buildings, Opened as market1211Hotel 1890
1879SemaphoreFirs Major Long Distance, Teleph. Call In Aus.To Pt Augusta
1879SemaphoreBute Terrace residences, 176-186 Military Rd
1879Port AdelaideTemperance Hotel building, 89 Commercial RdLicensed 1886
1879RosewaterRoyal Oak Hotel, Junc. Rd/ NewcastleDelicensed 1906
1879Port AdelaidePrince Alfred Hotel, Lipson/Russell StsClosed 1895
1879Port AdelaideLivingstone Arms Hotel, Nile StreetClosed 1889
1879SemaphoreKew Hotel, Company StreetDelicensed 1906
1879Port AdelaideCompany Basin, Company Basin transformed into New Dock
1879Port AdelaideCopper Co.Wharf, Used for the shipment of ore. later from Burra as well.
1879Port AdelaideNew Dock, New Dock transformed from Company Basin Santo Parade area
1879SemaphoreSt Andrew?s Church of England opened on Military Road. (Renamed St Bede?s in 1881),
1880AlbertonBible Christian Chapel opened, in Torrens PIace Yatala (now Alberton)7From 1900 Methodist, from 1977 Uniting
1880AlbertonRailway Bridge Platform 1911,
1880Port AdelaideNew Dock opened, Fronting Santo Par.Reclaimed 1935
1880ExeterExeter Hotel (from Lefevre), 152 Semaphore Rd
1880Lefevre PeninsulaFort Glanville operational, 1st of 3 planned fortsLargs/Glenelg
1880Port AdelaideElders Wool Store, Santo ParadeExtended 1883
1880Port AdelaideRail line to Adel. Duplicated, Sept. 14
1880SemaphoreBute Terrace houses; 176-186 Military Road; built for the Messrs Gray Brothers.,
1881LargsLags Bay Land & Investment, Company advertised628Prospectus
1881BirkenheadWesleyan Methodist Chapel, Victoria Road821Opened Jetty Dec. 2
1881LargsRailway via Mead St. open, 1225
1881SemaphoreAnglican Church of St Andrew renamed St Bedes,
1881LargsSect. 1098 dedicated for recreational purposes, Now Largs Reserve
1881SemaphoreMail sorting station, Corner Esplanade & Sema4 Road
1881PortlandRechabite Hall built, Commercial Road
1881SemaphoreFire Station, 76 Hall Street
1881RosewaterRosewater Hotel (open prior), 58 Grand Junc. Rd
1881Port AdelaideJervois Hotel, Lipson/Rissell StsClosed 1909
1881Port AdelaideCriterion Hotel (open prior), 2 Francis StreetClosed 23/3/1951
1881Port AdelaideYorke Pen. SS Co, with James Comrie and Warooka
1881SemaphoreWater Tower in Blackler Street operational. It was needed to maintain water pressure on the Peninsula when the water main across the Jervois Bridge had to be turned off to allow the bridge to open.,
1881SemaphoreNew Mail Station built on the south corner of the Esplanade and Semaphore Road to handle mail sent by sea., Demolished 1967
1881SemaphoreNew Post and Telegraph Office opened on Semaphore Road/Customs Lane corner 8 November. (Service relocated to 38 Semaphore Rd in 1984),
1881SemaphoreSemaphore Institute formed 15 December. (Amalgamated with the Port Adelaide Institute 1903),
1882Port AdelaidePresbyterian Church, Second Church25
1882BirkenheadPrivate School Opened, By Mrs Jones 7Wesleyan Chap.
1882LargsLargs Jetty completed, 122
1882LargsPier Hotel, 198 Esplande Largs Bay, 1223changed name to Largs Pier in 1890
1882LargsAnnual Regatta and Sports, 1226
1882Port AdelaideSalvation Army Corps,
1882PortlandParis Hotel (open prior), Clare St/Portland P1.
1882SemaphoreLawn Tennis Club Formed,
1882Port AdelaidePresbyterian Church, St Vincent Street
1882Port AdelaideAdelaide Milling Co, 1882 Harts Mill merged with Morgan. Connor & Glyde. Walter Duffield & Jas. Cowan & Co.
1882SemaphoreSemaphore Lawn Tennis Club formed.,
1882SemaphoreRichard Jagoe; long-serving shipping reporter for the daily papers and owner of the beachboats that served ships at the Semaphore Anchorage; built a new home (still standing) on the corner of Newman Street and the Esplanade.,
1883Port AdelaideRobinson Bridge, No. 1 Dock Oct. 26 !Closed3
1883Port Adelaide Telephone Exchange open, 97
1883Port AdelaideNelcebee Assembled by, Thomas Cruickshank
1883Port AdelaideColac Hotel, 1 Santo Parade
1883LargsPost And Telegraph offices, Opened
1883Port AdelaideStilling & Co. Wool Store, Santo ParadeBuilt
1883Port AdelaideDock Hotel (was. Wharf Dock), Todd StreetDelicensed 1906
1883SemaphoreSemaphore Corporation established from parts of the District Councils of Glanville and Lefevre?s Peninsula. (Using current terminology; its western boundary followed the coast from Jervois Street to Strathfield Terrace, then east to Military Road; south down Military and Fletcher Roads to the Port River; followed the west bank of the River to in line with Recreation Parade; west along that line to Sansom Road; north to Bower Road; west to Military Road; north to Jervois Street and west to the coast.),
1883SemaphoreNew Baptist Church opened at 60-62 Semaphore Road 18 March; replacing the Turton Street building. (Merged with Alberton Baptist Church and relocated to Old Port Road; Queenstown; from 8 October 2000 to form Gateway Baptist Church.),
1884SemaphoreEsplanade to Largs Joined, 719
1884Port AdelaideWesleyan Church, Dale St -Foundation Stone922Demolished 1973
1884Port AdelaideFire at Hack's Timber Yard, 116
1884Port AdelaideT. Hack's Timber Yard fire, Commercial Road1110
1884Port AdelaideCentral Hotel, 74 Commercial Road129To 2002
1884LargsFort operational, Became Police Academy in 1961
1884PortlandCouncil annexed,
1884Port AdelaideH.C.M.S.Protector arrived,
1884QueenstownPolice Station in rented site, Wm. Gibb. Carrier
1884QueenstownPolice Station completed, High StreetNow 131 Port Rd
1884SemaphoreSemaphore Masonic Lodge formed.,
1884SemaphoreSemaphore and Largs esplanades joined by opening a roadway through the sandhills.,
1884SemaphoreSemaphore Institute building on the west corner of Semaphore Road and Institute Lane opened by the Governor 15 March., Was Ozone Theatre, now Library
1885Port AdelaideWesleyan Methodist Church, Dale StreetDemolished 1973
1885Port AdelaideFirst Crooks & Brooker Fire,
1886PeterheadPost Office opened, 7
1886BirkenheadPost Office Sub, station open121
1886BirkenheadCouncil Annexed by P.A.C., 129Dec
1886Port AdelaideWalter & Morris timber yard, Robin & Hack's prm.Later to Minories
1886PortlandTam O'Shanter Creek, Canal Bill introduced
1887Port AdelaidePort Land Company, Morialta Cham. Adel.App. In Directory
1887Port AdelaideEclipse Mill (Dunn's), Fussell/Honey Sts.Burnt Jan. 2 '20
1888PortlandBible Christians joined with, Methodist
1889SemaphoreSemaphore Swimming Baths on the jetty officially opened 26 January., 126Destroyed 1917
1889Port AdelaideMusical Society Formed, Mr Wyatt Mortimer1024
1889SemaphoreSalvation Army Corps,
1889SemaphoreBaths on Jetty Opened,
1889Port AdelaidePortland Canal completed, Tam O'Shanter Cree
1889Port AdelaideS.A. Yacht Club, Opening demo.
1889PortlandCanal completed,
1889Port AdelaideCommercial Wharf, ASC used Commercial wharf from this time. moved to McLaren Wharf in 1935
1889SemaphoreSemaphore Institute building sold to Semaphore Corporation to be the Town Hall.,
1889SemaphoreRotunda on the foreshore south of the jetty officially opened 18 January.,
1890Port AdelaideJervois Bridge steps, Kestel Steps425Mayor Kestel
1890Port AdelaideRacing Club first meeting, Grand Junction Road
1890Port AdelaideMajor maritime strike,
1890Port AdelaideNewmarket Hotel, 132 Commercial Rd
1891LargsGovt purchase railway and Jetty, 212
1891AlbertonPost Office at Railway Station, 10
1891Port AdelaideAustralian Stevedoring Co., Captains W. Begg & J. Legoe
1891GlanvilleCSR Refinery opened, Demolished 1993Fire 1926
1891Port AdelaideKembla House, 55 St Vincent Street
1891SemaphoreFire Brigade Formed,
1891SemaphorePolice Station west of the Town Hall at 6 Semaphore Road opened in August. (Replaced rented premises opposite the Exeter Railway Station),
1892AlbertonPublic School, Queenstown - Infant Sch. 1923103Redevelop. 1988
1892EtheltonPublic School, Harley/Pelham StsPrev. Glanville
1893GlanvillePublic School opened, Named Ethelton 1919
1894Port AdelaideDora Sweetapple, D.B.N.S. First Nurse621
1894SemaphoreWarrinilla built, Semaphore Road
1894BirkenheadSt Andrews Anglican Church,
1894GlanvilleBrewery opened, Later Bronson's
1895CheltenhamP.A.R.C. first meeting, 1126
1895PortlandMontpelier Square fenced, Planted with trees
1895RosewaterSt Barnabas Anglican Church,
1895Port AdelaideCannon Brewery, Cannon St. Until 1902Big Gun Brewery
1895Port AdelaideProduce Export Depot Ocean Steamers' Wh,
1895SemaphoreCyclone on 9 December caused considerable damage.,
1895SemaphoreDr Percy Bollen built a two-storey home at 43 Semaphore Road.,
1896GlanvillePost Office opened, 4
1896EtheltonSt Nicholas Anglican Church,
1897GlanvilleBower Cottages foundations, 621
1897Port AdelaideMarist Brothers arrive, S.S. Australian118
1897Port AdelaideMarist Brothers School, Commercial Road Aug. 15
1897Port AdelaideRowing Club founded,
1897Port AdelaideSailing Club formed,
1897Port AdelaidePA Sailing Club, Port Adelaide Sailing Club formed 1897
1897SemaphoreDr Henry Curtis built a two-storey home (?Holmwood?) on the south corner of Dunn Street and Military Road.,
1898Port AdelaideLion Timber Yard Fire, 324
1898Alberton
Queenstown
Councils annexed, 12
1898Queenstown
Alberton
Queenstown and Alberton District Council annexed by Port Adelaide Corporation.,
1898SemaphoreCentrals Football Club, Formed
1898Port AdelaideBritannia Hotel, RebuiltNow Dockside
1899RosewaterCouncil annexed, 125
1899Port AdelaideCharity Concert Company, 1st concert613Orpheus Soc.
1899Port AdelaideElectric lighting in streets, Replaced gas
1899AlbertonRailway Post Office closed,
1899SemaphoreSt Bedes Anglican Church,Tracker Organ installed,
1899SemaphoreCongregational Church opened at 11 Jagoe Street. (Closed 1973),
1899SemaphoreDominican Convent established in Dr Curtis? former home on Military Road and school opened 10 July.,
1900Port AdelaideProclaimed a City, 523E. Lumbers
1900Port AdelaideCorporation Flagstaff named, 115 ft high Town Hall524Mayoress Caire
1900AlbertonSussex Street Post Office, 5
1900AlbertonPort Road Post Office closes, 5
1900Port AdelaideCharity Concert Company, First Performance613P.A. Town Hall
1900LargsMethodist Services, In Drill Shed916
1900Port AdelaideOrpheus Society, 1st concert117
1900SemaphoreSemaphore Corporation amalgamated with Port Adelaide Corporation 11 November., 1111
1900Port AdelaideJervois Bridge woodwork fire, Spark from train1125
1901SemaphoreFederal Hotel, 25 Semaphore Road3From Jetty Hotel
1901Port AdelaideR.M.S. Ormuz quarantined, 109
1901SemaphoreP.A. Orpheus Societies first concert at theSemaphore Town Hall, 117
1901Port AdelaidePopulation 2089, an houses builds 4412,
1901PortlandNo Man's Land, Trees planted
1901Birkenhead1st Fuel installation, Shell Co.
1901Port AdelaideDuke and Duchess of York on visits Port Adelaide, transported up Port River on Euro (tug),
1901SemaphoreSevere cyclone on 25 January damaged several homes.,
1901SemaphoreLighthouse on Wonga Shoal; west of the Semaphore Jetty; operational 1 July. (It superseded the Port Adelaide Lighthouse at the entrance to the Port River; which was then removed to South Neptune Island and; when it became redundant; re-erected in 1986 at the end of Commercial Road; Port Adelaide.),
1901SemaphoreFire Brigade Station opened on the east corner of Jagoe St and Hall St. (Closed 1988),
1902LargsAnglican Services, In Drill Shed1012
1902Lefevre PeninsulaPost Office closed, 11
1902AlbertonAlberton Oval purchased by the Port Adelaide Council, Previously leased by the Queenstown and Alberton Council for
many years.
1903Port Adelaide
Alberton
Port Adelaide Oval official opening at Alberton, 493000 pound pay.
1903AlbertonAlberton Oval Bowling Club formed., 7Called Port Adelaide 1903-7.
1903LargsSisters of St Joseph, OrphanageOrig. Sanitorium
1904LargsFirst Methodist Church, 731
1904SemaphoreSemaphore Bowling Club Formed,
1904SemaphoreCroquet Club, Next to Bowling Club I
1904Port AdelaideSkating Rink Opened, St Vin./ Todd St. Cr.
1904SemaphoreCommercial Bank of Australia Sub-branch opened on Semaphore Road near Exeter Railway Station.,
1905Port AdelaideSt Paul's Church, Third building11
1905LargsSacred Heart College, Military R./Hannay St
1905Port AdelaideCroquet Club Lipson Street,
1905Port AdelaideGulf Steamships, Amalgamated with Yorke Peninsula Steam and Coast Steamships to form Gulf Steamships with Karatta 1907
1905Port AdelaideHarbor Masters, List of Port Adelaide Harbor Masters P.84 of Port Book
1906Port AdelaideAdelaide Milling Co. Fire, Five Storey Mill3
1906LargsSt Bede's Mission ChurchSt Albans in 1914, 47
1906Port AdelaideH. L. Vosz Paint Factory Built Lipson Street, 11Later Dulux
1906SemaphoreWolverton Hospital est.,
1906Port AdelaideSavings Bank bld, 98 Lipson Ex Navalmen's 1950Formby Rest.
1907Sailing ship Norma struck, By Ardencraig421
1907LargsLargs Bay College The Esplanade,
1907Port AdelaideMuralo Buildings (Vosz Paint), Lipson StreetNow apartments
1907SemaphoreChurch Of the Sacred Heart, Catholic
1907Port AdelaideKaratta, most popular vessel with Gulf Steamships
1907Port AdelaideNorma, Vessel Norma wrecked off Semaphore. (Norma Welsh Druid Princess) Figurehead in Museum
1908AlbertonCarmelite Fathers, Move from Port
1908Outer HarborOfficially opened, Oruba 1st mail ship
1908Port AdelaideSmith's Motor Co., 58 Lipson StreetPrevious Clutterbuck's
1908Port AdelaideOuter Harbor, Opened by Premier Peake P & O Oruba there at opening
1909GlanvillePost Office closes, 12
1909GlanvilleI.0.0.F. Lodge No. 3, Purchase Ang. Ch.Renamed Exeter Hall
1909PortlandOutbreak of plague 2 deaths, Leadenhall Street
1909SemaphoreSemaphore Scout Troop formed.
1910Outer HarborPost Office opened3
1910Port AdelaideSouth Africa fire, Explosives cargo821
1910GlanvilleFirst Glanville Hotel, purchased By South Australian Government to make way for the Outer Harbor Railway line.11
1910SemaphoreThe Wondergraph Theatre; an open air picture theatre in between the Customs Boarding Station and the Semaphore Coffee Palace; opened 26 December.1226
1910SemaphoreChurch of Christ
1910BirkenheadLefevre Pen. Dist. High Sch., Public School SiteClosed 1914
1910Port AdelaideFire aboard South Africa, Explosive carrier
1910SemaphoreLefevre?s Peninsula District High School opened at the Public School. (Closed 1914. It and the Hindmarsh District High School amalgamated to form Woodville DHS in 1915),
1910SemaphoreSemaphore Coffee Palace opened at 80 the Esplanade. (Became Wondergraph Café and later Evancourt Private Hotel),
1911OttowayCongregational Church, 4
1911Port AdelaideRailway Bridge, Sth Jervois Bridge516Completed prior
1911SemaphoreCoffee Palace, EsplanadeWondergraph Café Evancourt
1911SemaphoreMasonic Buildings at 66 Semaphore Road opened.
1911SemaphoreOzone Amusements Ltd was formed by local bookseller and stationer Hugh Waterman; grocers Les and Horrie Warn; stationmaster Chris Flaherty and electrician Jim Woods. The firm started leasing the Semaphore and Port Adelaide Town Halls for screening films.,
1912PortlandDeep drainage for sewerage, Commenced
1912SemaphoreThe Wonga Shoal Lighthouse was knocked over by the three-masted barque ?Dimsdale? on 17 November and the two keepers drowned.,
1912SemaphoreSavings Bank of South Australia opened on Semaphore Road.,
1913SemaphoreChurch of Christ at 242 Military Road opened. (Unsure of date closed), 31
1913BirkenheadR. T. Searles' Shipyard, Jenkins StreetNow Cent. Slip
1913Port AdelaideSalvation Army Hall, 84 Lipson StreetPowerhouse P.
1913Port AdelaideOzone Theatre opened, 1st purpose built movie Theatre 1968 Close '79 demolished
1913Port AdelaidePort Adelaide News, Reestablished'33 ceased
1913Port AdelaideCoast Steamships, Formed from Gulf Steamship & West Coast Shipping . vessel Quorna susidiary of .ASCL
1913Port AdelaideWest Coast Shipping, Wandana 1913 was Spencer Gulf trader
1913Port AdelaideWeston Milling Co., still operating today on Thomas' old site.
1913SemaphoreSemaphore Lewis Lodge (Masonic) formed.,
1914Port AdelaideFirst sod Elec. Tram Track, Mayor I. H. Clouston112
1914Port AdelaideRobe. Kingston etc., After WW1 ASC stopped SE trade to Robe Kingston Beachport
1914Port AdelaideS.A. Harbors Board est., Private wharves acq.
1914LargsSt Albans Anglican Church,
1914BirkenheadAdelaide Cement Co. open, Brighton Cem. 1971
1914Port AdelaideNew Year's Day Regatta Last conducted,
1914Port AdelaideEyre Yorke Pen., After WW1 ASC stepped up service to Eyre & Yorke Peninsulas instead of SE trade
1914Port AdelaideFisher Bridge, Now Ocean Steamers Road runs over
1914Port AdelaideRegatta, Last Port Adelaide Regatta held 1914
1914Port AdelaideScharzfels, German prize vessel Scharzfels renamed Araluen for Adelaide Steamship Co.
1914SemaphoreSemaphore Buildings completed. (Adjoin the Semaphore Hotel),
1914SemaphoreTwo-storey kiosk on the inner T-head of the jetty opened 24 December. It included a restaurant; accommodation for the lessee and a dance hall upstairs. (Damaged by fire 10 March 1947 and removed in 1948.),
1915RosewaterRedhill Bridge Opened, Railway Overpass.1114Gr. Junc. Rd
1915GlanvilleThornton Bridge West Of Jervois Br,
1915AlbertonCheer Up Society Formed in October,
1915SemaphoreCatholic Church at 253 Military Road dedicated.,
1916Port AdelaideVacuum Oil Co. Fire Todd Street, 12
1916BirkenheadNaval Drill Hall Fletcher RoadCompleted 1919,
1916Port AdeliadeR'way Station, Commercial Road Station opened on May 1st and demolished and reconstructed in 1971
1916Port AdelaideSA Club Hotel, Bucknall proprietor of South Australian Club Hotel
1916Port AdelaideSA Company Wharf , McLaren Wharf
1916SemaphoreSemaphore/Outer Harbor railway re-routed via Commercial Road Station; replacing the route via St Vincent St and the original Jervois Bridge.,
1917Port Adelaide
Semaphore
Albet Park
Port Adelaide electric tramway system servicing Semaphore.Rosewater and Albert Park opened 3 April; service to Largs opened 15 May. The Semaphore route was via St Vincent and Hart Streets and Military and Semaphore Roads. (System closed 27 July 1935), 43
1917SemaphoreSemaphore Swimming Baths on the jetty destroyed by a severe storm on 18 July.718Jetty was 652 metres long
1917Port AdelaideSewers connected, Also Portland Alberton & Queenstown
1917AlbertonSewers connected,
1917SemaphoreWar Memorial Arch, Semaphore JettyEntrance
1917PortlandSewers operational,
1918Port AdelaideWorkers' memorial erected Statue added 1921,
1919Port AdelaideSchool cony. to temp. hosp., Influenza epidemic59
1919GlanvilleHarbors Boad Emp. Mem., Dockyard1017
1919EtheltonGlanville Public School, Renamed Ethelton 1892
1919Port AdelaideCentral Mission
1919LargsAdjunct School established, In Drill ShedGov. Galway
1919Port AdelaideMethodist Mission estab., Was Methodist Ch.
1919SemaphoreBandstand on the foreshore north of the jetty was erected by the Municipal Tramways Trust for use by the Tramways Band. (Donated to Port Adelaide Council 1924-25; demolished 1970s)
1920GlanvilleBrewery purchased, by E. W. Bronson524Sold bus. 1975
1920Port AdelaideHarbors Board building in Lipson Street, Timeball aboveDiscont. 1932
1920SemaphoreHotel extended with 3rd floor,
1920Port AdelaideNavigation Act, This Act severely disadvantaged local Australian Shipping lines in competition with Overseas reg. vessels
1920SemaphoreF.S. Harrington?s drapery on Semaphore Rd opened. (Closed 1973),
1920SemaphoreWondergraph Picture Palace on Semaphore Rd opened 22 May with 1246 seats. (Became Odeon Star 1952; closed 1976; reopened 1991),
1921LargsOil bore on Jetty, Mayor Lewis opens1029
1921BirkenheadAdelaide Cement Co. Wharf, Completed 1922
1921Port AdelaidePoole & Steel, Osborne Shipbuilders Eurimbla 1921. Euwarra 1922. Eugowra 1923 (originally Erina)
1921SemaphoreSemaphore Girl Guides formed.,
1922RosewaterWar Memorial Unveiled at Reserve (SthW. Cnr), 415
1922TaperooMethodist Church,
1922SemaphorePalais Ballroom/Bathing, ForeshoreNow hotel
1922AlbertonMarist Brothers, Move from Port
1922AlbertonAlb. Church United Football, Club formed
1922Port AdelaideStar Theatre opened1960 closed,
1922Port AdelaideAerial Service, Year that first fledgling air services began
1922SemaphoreSemaphore Bathing Pavilion and Palais opened on the foreshore 23 December. Designed to accommodate over 500 bathers; it also included a kiosk; dance hall; roof garden and observation tower.,
1923LargsPublic School opened, 121
1923SemaphoreSemaphore and Port Adelaide Returned Sailors and Soldiers Imperial League of Australia (now R.S.L.) Sub Branch formed., 94
1923Port AdelaideSwim Through Port Carnival, Initiated long swim
1923LargsFirst Police Station, 483 Military Road
1923OsborneFirst Power Station on line,
1924Port AdelaideTragedy Dock, No.2 Dock (not City of Singapore Fire) other drownings etc. before 1924,
1924LargsPrimary School build. Opened, Fletcher Road
1924Port AdelaideMarine Board abolished, S.A. Harbors Board
1924AlbertonOzone Theatre opened, 33 Fussell PlaceClosed 1961
1924Port AdelaideCity of Singapore explosion, Three killed426
1925Outer HarborItalian seaplane visit, Marchess dePinedo68
1925AlbertonR.A.O.B. Hall, Port Road823
1925Port AdelaideMunicipal Band, Reformed1013
1925LargsService Station established,
1925LargsLodge began,
1925SemaphoreFederal Hotel, Remodelled frontage
1925Port AdelaideSoldiers' Market opened, 200 Commercial RdLasted to 1943
1925PeterheadPresbyterian Church, St Luke's Hall
1925Outer HarborPolice Station,
1925Port AdelaideMulcra, Adelaide Ship Construction's first oil fueled cargo vessel Operated until 1961
1925Port AdelaideSA Harbors Board, Took over from Marine and Harbors Board
1925Port AdelaideSarnia Timber Mill, Established by Theophilus Hack and Peter LeMessurier. Thens Robins Timber Yard. then Walter & Morris
1925SemaphoreCentral School established at Lefevre?s Peninsula Primary School with Girls and Boys Departments. (The latter was the genesis of Lefevre Boys Technical School which ultimately became Lefevre High School.), Tech Sch.1940
1925SemaphoreSemaphore District Traders? Association established 5 February.,
1925SemaphoreSoldiers Memorial on the foreshore near the jetty unveiled on 24 May (Empire Day).,
1926Port AdelaideM.T.T. bus service from Adelaide, to Largs and Semaphore45
1926CheltenhamCaire family fatality, 5 deaths Cheltenham rail Crossing430
1926BirkenheadSecond Methodist Church, corner Gunn and Wells Street.4Ceased 1990
1926Port AdelaideWaterside Workers' Hall, 11 Nile Street125Foundation stone
1926LargsFord Motor Company est.,
1926LargsRotunda on foreshore,
1926BirkenheadGeneral Motors Holden established, Demolished 19??
1926SemaphoreSlippery Dip/Helter Skelter, On Foreshore
1926BirkenheadMethodist Church,
1927RosewaterMount Carmel Boys' School, Newcastle Street1
1927LargsDinghy Club founded, L.B. Sailing Club in 1949
1927LargsWomen's Hockey Club form, Recess in 1981
1927Alberton1st Yatala Boy Scouts' Hall, Queen Street
1927Port AdelaideSmith Motor Company, Premises Comm. Rd
1927PortlandTimber yard fire, Near Canal
1927RosewaterRailway Marshalling Yards, New Kingston
1928Port AdelaideMinnipa, went aground near Boston Island and her 145 passengers had to complete their voyage to Port Lincoln in small boats.in 1928. 528A profitable vessel until 1960, when it had become too small for interstate trade.
1928Port AdelaideMasonic Lodge. Second hall, Comm. Rd/Lipson10161st meeting
1928Port AdelaideWaterside Workers' strike,
1928Outer HarborMission To Seamen,
1928PortlandRiverside Football Club formed,
1928SemaphoreLutheran Church,
1928QueenstownSeventh Day Adventist Church, Webb Street, Replaced 1970
1928LargsSecond Methodist Church,
1928Largs1st Largs Scout Troop formed,
1928PortlandMontpelier Square, Children's Playground,
1928Port AdelaideRAF Southampton Seaplanes + 1 RAAF land in Port River,
1928Port AdelaideGovernment Ships, This was the year Govt. sold all vessels to White Star Line. Out of Shipping Trade.
1928Port AdelaideLargs Bay Sailing Club formed. First commodore Tom Fisher,
1929Port AdelaideManunda, Built in 1926 entered service With Adelaide Steam in 1929 interstate coastal trade
1929Port AdelaideManunda, Sunk 1 ketch and damaged 2 others in serious berthing accident
1929Port AdelaideMoonta, joined fleet did Gulf Trips
1929Port AdelaideWestralia, Opposition to Adelaide Steam on Coastal interstate trade
1929Port AdelaideWm Thomas & Co., Leadenhall Street. later took over Harrison's Mill in 1888
1929Port AdelaideYatala, An area near Alberton and Rosewater
1929SemaphoreSoldiers Memorial Hall and Institute Library at 10 Semaphore Rd opened 7 December.,
1929SemaphoreFormer Semaphore Town Hall remodelled as an Ozone Theatre and opened 9 December. It sat about 1100. (Theatre refurbished in 1952 following Hoyts Theatres Ltd acquiring a substantial financial interest in 24 of Waterman Bros Ozone theatres. It closed in 1960.),
1930Port AdelaideMoonta, Popular Moonta acquired by Adelaide Ship Construction Limited.
1930PortlandLog Pound constructed, Mouth of Canal
1930SemaphoreBack to Semaphore Celebrations held and 64 page souvenir booklet written and compiled by JE Trotman for the Back to Semaphore Committee published.,
1931OttowayCongregational Church, Red brick building12
1931RosewaterFirst Housing Trust homes, 35-37 McNichol Tce
1932Port AdelaideFlagstaff removed from wharf, End of Comm. Rd85Dismantled & fell
1932Port AdelaideStrassfort Fire, Tragedy Dock920
1932SemaphoreTimeball Tower, Service ended
1932Port AdelaideWanganella, Opposition to Adelaide Steam on Coastal interstate trade
1932SemaphoreTimeball service ceased 31 January. (Superseded by wireless telegraphy),
1933Port AdelaideInstitute Museum reorganised, to Nautical Museum
1933Port AdelaideDepression. 33.2% no work,
1934Albert ParkTram Route Closed, 1111
1934CheltenhamEx Navalmen's Assoc., Until 1940 then to old Savings Bk. Lipson St.
1934LargsMagpie Hockey Club, Changed to Largs
1935Port AdelaideModel purchased, Council Chamb.
1935SemaphoreSemaphore/Largs TocH, Formed
1935Port AdelaideDuntroon, Opposition to Adelaide Steam on Coastal interstate trade
1935Port AdelaideEclipse Flour Mill, Honey Street at Commercial Wharf.Dunn built it.
1935Port AdelaideKanimbla, Opposition to Adelaide Steam on Coastal Interstate Trade
1935Port AdelaideManoora, popular vessel with Adelaide Steamship Co.interstate coastal trade
1935Port AdelaideManoora, First passenger orientated vessel. Open decks. dance space. etc.
1935Port AdelaideMcLaren Wharf, ASC moved here from Commercial Wharf.
1935Port AdelaideMiller & Spiller, Mill operating in Baker Street
1935Port AdelaideMiller's Produce Mill, Honey Street site flour Mill
1935SemaphoreElectric tram service from Port Adelaide closed 27 July and was replaced with petrol buses as an interim measure., 727
1935SemaphoreSemaphore & Largs Toc H founded.,
1936Outer HarborLady Gowrie Drive opened, 916
1936AlbertonPatrick's Square fountain,
1936GlanvilleWaterloo Bridge Lamp, Presented to City of Port Adelaide
1936SemaphoreCentenary Regatta,
1937Outer HarborMelb. Steamship Duntroon, Fire Outer Harbor31
1937RosewaterR.S.S. & A.I.L.A. Sub, Branch Granted Charter310
1937Semaphore
Outer Harbor
Semaphore Signal Station adjacent to the Timeball Tower superseded by one at the Outer Harbor.,
1937Port AdelaideDuco Plant built 67 Lipson Street,
1937LargsLargs Bay Hockey Club To Port Adel. In 1948,
1937AlbertonConvent, Girl's School
1938SemaphoreAn electric trolley bus service from Adelaide via Port Adelaide to Semaphore and Largs, following similar routes to the former trams; began 3 April., 43
1938BirkenheadCentral Slip shifted, Adjoining Fletcher'sBirkenhead Br.
1938QueenstownPrince of Wales Hotel, Current façade
1938Port AdelaideMorialta, Ship ordered for ASC. Not delivered because of War
1939Port AdelaideCorp. Flagstaff removed, Donated to Boy Sc.511st Kensington
1939Port AdelaideSilent Cop, Black Diam. Cr Third one in 193995Removed 1968 Nile St. Entrance
1939Port AdelaideCheerup Hut in Council Cha., Council Offer To west of Memorial
1939SemaphoreProtector gun moved,
1939Port AdelaideMunicipal Offices completed,
1940Port AdelaideInaugural Meet. Cheerup Hut Committee, 626
1940Port AdelaideBirkenhead Bridge completed, 1214Opened
1940OsborneICI alkali factory operational,
1941SemaphoreNew red brick Semaphore Railway Station building opened west of the Post Office.1029Closed 1978 and later demolished
1941Port AdelaideNew Exchange Hotel (name change), 1 Commercial Road Port Adelaide1987 to Lighthouse Inn
1941Outer HarborPilot Station opened.
1941Port AdelaidePilot Station, New Pilot Station at Outer Harbor in 1941 alongside Signal Station opened in 1937
1942Port AdelaideMorialta, HMAS Morialta used for Review of Fleet by King George VI.
1944Port AdelaideMorialta, Hit by mine during war service. Did not sink. Repaired but did not finally arrive in SA until 1946.
1945LargsFormer Girls' College , renamed to St Albans C. of E. in 1946
1946Port AdelaideCheer up Hut Apprec. Social, For 320 Volunteers29Final Function
1946EtheltonSwimming Club Mem. Hndcp, W. Peterson1125He died in WWII
1946PortlandEmbankment demolished, Fill for P.A. Reserve
1946Portland13 acres purchased to extend, P.A. Reserve
1947SemaphoreJetty Kiosk fire, Destroyed311
1947PortlandR.S.S.& A.I.L.A. Sub, Branch Now R.S.L. Charter411
1947OsborneB' Power Station on line,
1947PortlandTown Rubbish Tip Closed,
1948Outer Harbor, Wansford Coal Fire610
1948BirkenheadAtlantic Air , Greek Freighter Chilean Nitrates92Fire
1948Outer HarborWillesden, Fire At Sea
1948LargsC.W.A. formed,
1948PortlandMontpelier Square, Children's Playgr'd Reestablished
1948PortlandRugby ground formed, P.A. Reserve
1948Port AdelaideBarcoo, Navy survey vessel Barcoo aground off Glenelg in 1948
1948Port AdelaideBlue Sheaf Mill Co., probably Lipson St. St. Vincent Street corner
1948Port AdelaideBucknall, Lost his life on the Waratah
1949Port AdelaideGreater P.A. Plan announced, Included West Lakes
1950Port AdelaidePort Adelaide ship's bell, Presented to P.A.C.117
1950SemaphoreColes Variety Store Opened, Closed 1974
1950SemaphoreLefevre Community Hospital, Replaced WolvertonJune '95 closed
1950Port AdelaideMoonta, Gulf Trip with Moonta ended 1955
1950Port AdelaideQuorna, Used by RAAF as bombing practice. End of Quorna off Kangaroo Island.,
1950SemaphoreColes Variety Store opened at 31 Semaphore Road. (Closed 1974),
1951Port AdelaideMessenger' newspaper, Commences
1952Albert ParkOldfields Bakeries Combine, New Plant12
1952SemaphoreWondergraph changes to, Odeon Star Theatre
1952SemaphoreSemaphore Retail Traders? Association formed 18 November.,
1953SemaphoreMariner's Memorial, 429
1953SemaphoreStorm damages jetty, Also Largs
1953PortlandGirls' Technical School, Wooden classrooms
1953TaperooPrimary School established,
1953LargsSevere storm damages Jetty,
1953SemaphoreSevere storm on 18-19 May damaged the jetty.,
1954Port AdelaideMeals on Wheels began, Off Langham Place
1954PortlandPortland Canal, Filling began
1955LargsMothers & Babies' Centre, Fletcher Road45
1955PenningtonFlinders Hot. (now Grand Jun.), 174 Junction Road108New name 2002
1955Port AdelaideCouncil Centenary Until 1956,
1956SemaphoreNational Bank opened at 32 Semaphore Road. (Closed 18 April 2001),
1957TaperooHotel Osborne (Boat House), 481 Victoria Road1217New name 2000
1957PortlandKindergarten opened, Wellington Street
1957SemaphoreNational Bank Opened,
1957Port AdelaideAdelaide Ship Con., ASCL subsidiary Adelaide Ship Construction began operations 1957 closed 1973
1958Port AdelaideNautical Museum, collection moved to St. Vincent Street. Curator Vernon Smith. , Closed 1979
1960Port AdelaideTrolleybus via Birkenhead Br., 829
1960PortlandPrinces Street Reserve, Sold to Housing Tr.
1960BirkenheadAdelaide Ship Cons. Ltd. Est., Closed Aug. 1973
1960PortlandLeMessurier's move from P.A, To Port RoadSite sold 2003
1960TaperooHigh School established,
1960SemaphoreCommonwealth Bank opened. (Closed 30 March 2001),
1960SemaphoreSemaphore Squash Centre opened at 24 Semaphore Road.,
1960SemaphoreSemaphore Ozone Theatre closed 21 May.,
1961LargsSecond St Albans Church, Jetrty Road,
1961Port AdelaideTroubridge, Roll on Roll off Ship begins route to Port Lincoln and Kinscote Kangaroo Island,
1961SemaphoreWoolworths Supermarket opened. (Became Triple Seven 1986; later IGA),
1962Port AdelaideGirls Tech High School Moved to Portland Road from Grand Junction road,
1963Port AdelaideBower Road Causeway, Linked Port/Bower
1963Port AdelaidePort Dock Station Demolished, Police Station opened on this site in 1992
1963Port AdelaidePrinces Wharf, Bend of the River North Parade / Mundy Street Corner
1963Port AdelaideQueens Wharf, Where lighthouse is now
1963Semaphore?Permanent? sideshow stalls constructed on the foreshore south of the jetty.,
1963SemaphoreGeoff Taylor?s book ?Sir? published. (It centres on Taylor?s schooldays at Rhaiadore Grammar School in the 1930s when the Signal Station was located across the road. The school was conducted in Richard Jagoe?s former home,see 1882 above, to which it had relocated from Stirling in 1932. Taylor called the school St David?s in his book.),
1964Port AdelaideTrolleybus system closed, 712
1964Port AdelaideMrs Anna Rennie, PortlandMayor of P.A.
1964TaperooColes Supermarket opened, Closed 1984
1965Port AdelaideGarden Island Bridge, North Arm6
1965GlanvilleMunicipal Band Hall, Phillips Res Swan T.121
1965Port AdelaideLong Swim Through Port, Last eventRiver polluted
1965BirkenheadGMH Birkenhead ceased production, FriFriday, August 13, at 4.03 p.m.
1965PeterheadAustbuilt Maritime Museum, 95 Fletcher RoadKeith LeLeu
1967Port AdelaideColes Supermarket opened,
1967Largs NorthPrimary School,
1967Port AdelaideDepartment Marine & Harbor, Replaces Harbors B.
1967Torrens IslandA' Power Station on line,
1967LargsLargs North Primary School,
1968LargsSt Albans C.E.G.S. closed,
1968TaperooAssemblies of God,
1968West LakesScheme announced, Part of WoodvilleCompleted
1969Port AdelaideA Berth Wharf/Cargo Shed Demolished ,
1969BirkenheadPrimary Sch. 2, storey build.
1969QueenstownMyer development planned,
1969TaperooLutheran Church,
1969QueenstownMyers plan to est shopping c., Tapleys Hill/Port Rds
1969LargsRotary Club formed,
1969SemaphoreSemaphore District Traders? Association formed 26 May., 526
1969Semaphore
Port Adelaide
The original Jervois Bridge was closed to traffic on 28 July and two lanes of the New Jervois Bridge opened for traffic. The completed bridge was made of pre-stressed reinforced concrete, was officially opened 22 December., 728
1969SemaphoreLions Club of Lefevre Peninsula formed.,
1970Port AdelaidePolaris Oil Survey Ship Fire, No. 1 Berth17
1970RosewaterWoolworths Supermarket,
1970RosewaterFire Station Opened,
1970PortlandRechabite Hall sold to investor,
1970Port AdelaideSeventh Day Adventist Church.,
1970Lefevre PeninsulaF. A. Vickery Hall, built at LeFevre Boys' Tech High School.,
1970Port AdelaideCruising Yacht Club formed.,
1971Port AdelaideAnnie Watt Purchased by the Ketch Preservation Society.,
1972Port AdelaidePedestrian lights installed on Grand junction road for the Port Adelaide Primary School., 29Mayor Martin
1972OttowayNew E. & W.S. Foundry,Pipe production moved From Glanville., 328
1972Port AdelaideMetropolitan Tramways Trust Control Box removed Black Diamond Corner., 621
1972BirkenheadPolice Station Closing Announced, 913
1972QueenstownPolice Station Closing Announced, 913
1972AlbertonMaughan Thiem takeover Bowden Ford Prem., 9201013 Port Rd.
1972Port AdelaideArchway Port, Dale St. Rehab. Cent104New Premises
1972ExeterBeehive Corner (Sem4 Rd.), Demolishment Notice 1129Emblem to PAHS
1972Port AdelaideSmith Motors 50th Anniversary, 126
1972Port AdelaideTug Fearless Welcomed to Port Adelaide1220
1972Port AdelaideHistorical Society formed, 427
1972North HavenDevelopment announced.
1972Port AdelaideShowboat Lady Chelmsford,
1972LargsLutheran Church,
1972Port AdelaideTroubridge, South Australian Government purchased vessel as Adelaide Steamship Company Limited out of the shipping business,
1972Port AdelaideVerco's Flour Mill, Honey Street,
1973Outer HarborPassenger Terminal opened,
1973SemaphoreF. S. Harrington?s drapery at 124 Semaphore Road (second site) closed after 53 years of trading.,
1974GlanvilleExeter Hall Purchased By Mr Keith LeLeu,
1974GlanvilleAnnie Watt at Corner of Semaphore & Causeway roads.,
1974Port AdelaideCommunity Welfare Council Changed to Community Develpment Board,
1975West Lakes ShoreLegtrap Hotel, built on Bartley Terrace, 1120
1975Semaphore ParkPrimary School,
1975Port AdelaidePort Adelaide Centre Joint Committee formed to Oversee redevelopment,
1975SemaphoreFormer Customs Boarding Station saved from demolition after a prolonged campaign.,
1976SemaphoreCol. Lovely's Former Home 89 Esplanade corner of Dunn street demolished,
1976SemaphoreOdeon Star Cinema Closed,
1976Port AdelaideInformation Centre established,
1976SemaphoreColonel JC Lovely?s former home at 89 Esplanade (south corner of Dunn Street); a local landmark with sculptures of a kangaroo and emu flanking its entrance stairs; was demolished.,
1977Outer HarborContainer Terminal opened,
1977Port AdelaideConservation Study issued,
1977Port AdelaideSteam Tug Yelta Purchased by the National Trust,
1977Port AdelaideConservation Study, by Elizabeth Vines,
1977Port AdelaideRedevelopment Scheme allocated $1.3 M,
1977SemaphoreSemaphore Cinema opened in the upstairs portion of the former Ozone Theatre on 26 December. (Closed 1985),
1978North HavenShopping Centre opened on Osborne Road North Haven,
1978Port AdelaideMarine & Harbors Department moved from Adelaide,
1978SemaphoreSemaphore Public Library opened 19 August in the former Central Provision Stores (CPS) building at 34 Semaphore Road. (Moved to ground floor of former Ozone Theatre in 1994),
1978SemaphoreTrain service from Glanville to Semaphore ceased 28 October and was replaced by a feeder bus to Glanville on the 29th. (Railway line removed in 1981 after a protracted campaign to retain it.),
1979Port AdelaideLibrary Established, Institute St Vin. St. 18P.A. Inst. Ends
1979North HavenPrimary School,
1979North HavenTrust established Develop & promote,
1979Port AdelaideColes Supermarket enlarged Quebec Mall opened Stage 1,
1979North HavenPrimary School opened,
1979PortlandCanal filling ceased section retained,
1979SemaphoreSemaphore Promotions Committee formed.,
1980Largs NorthWee Willie's Tavern 563 Military Road opened, 1111
1980SemaphoreFoodland Store Opens,
1980Port AdelaideMarket opened,
1980LargsOrphanage closed,
1980Port AdelaideRecreation Centre opened, 50 St Vincent St.,
1980Fort GlanvilleHistorical Association formed,
1980Port AdelaideFerguson's Bond Store, Lipson Street Purchased State Planning Authority.,
1980SemaphoreSemaphore Foodland opened on Semaphore Road east of Institute Lane.,
1980SemaphoreSemaphore Progress Association formed.,
1981Port AdelaideC.B.A. Bank, Lipson Street Purchased by State Planning Authority., 421
1981GlanvilleAnnie Watt Removed from Semaphore Rd Corner, by SA Film Corporation, 8
1981Port AdelaideWeman's Buildings Lipson St Purchased by State Planning, 1221
1981Port AdelaidePort Mall shops opened,
1981North HavenWoolworths SupermarketFoodland '85,
1981North HavenMarina opened,
1981PortlandWalter & Morris timber mill closed, Demolished later
1982Port AdelaideCouncil memorial, St Vin. St. To Cap. Barker Sturt929& Col Light
1982BirkenheadFinger Jetties For Tugs Cons., Cruickshank's CnrCompleted 1983
1982Port AdelaideState Heritage Area declared1st in State,
1982Port AdelaideGreek Orthodox Church,
1982BirkenheadAnnie Watt to Cruikshank's, Corner
1982Port AdelaideCommunity College opened, McLaren Parade
1983LargsCentenary Monument, Unveiled11
1983RosewaterNew Redhill Bridge Opened Road Straightened, 9Gr. Junc. Rd
1983Fort GlanvilleVisitor Centre announced,
1983Port AdelaideS.A. Maritime Museum ann., Jubilee 150 project
1983AlbertonTrinity Uniting Church Yatala/Rosew/OttowIn Yatala Ch.,
1983Port AdelaideP.A.H.S. transfers most of Artefacts to S.A.M.M.,
1983North HavenGulf Point Marina plus Cruising Yacht Club,
1984Port AdelaideDale St Women's Health Cent Opened,
1984Port AdelaideBower Rd linked to Grand Junction, To High Schuster
1984Port AdelaidePrimary School moves From G.J.R.,
1984SemaphoreNew Post Office at 38 Semaphore Road opened 9 January.,
1985PortlandPort Adelaide Reserve Extra land purchased, 319
1985Port AdelaideRailway Museum announced Bicentennial project,
1986Port AdelaidePort Dock Brewery Hotel, 10 Todd Street1023
1986AlbertonFoodland S/market unroofed, Fussell Place126Was Ozone Th.
1986Port AdelaideLighthouse, Black Diam. Squ.Q. Eliz. II
1986Port AdelaideNautical Museum, Taken over by Maritime Museum. in Bond Store corner Lipson and Divett Street. Opened 1986
1986SemaphoreSemaphore Road Development Committee formed.,
1987Port AdelaideJervois Br. Keeper's Galle, Near Birkenhead Br.Opp. British Hot.
1987Port AdelaideIsland Seaway, Island Seaway operated Troubridge's route from 1987 to 1995
1987Port AdelaideJackett Bros, Baker Street Flour Mill (later Wm. Jackett & Sons)
1987SemaphoreEJ Woodroffe?s drapery on the east corner of Semaphore Road and Jagoe Street closed 7 March after over 60 years of trading.,
1988Port AdelaidePort Dock R/way Museum, Lipson Street1210Opened
1988Port AdelaideLipson House Restaurant, Former Bank of Adel.12Lipson Street
1988Port AdelaideGreater P.A. Heritage Study Mc Dougall & Vines,
1988SemaphoreSemaphore Fire Station closed after a new station opened at Largs North.,
1989Port AdelaideCugini's Restaurant Lipson StreetWas Lipson Hous,
1990Port AdelaideNo. 1 Shed Re-Development Announced,
1990OsborneSubmarine Corporation First Keel Laid February,
1990Port AdelaideTroubridge Sold Kang. Is. FerrySailed to Famagusta,
1991GlanvilleColonial Sugar Refinery Closed, 426
1991Port AdelaideQuebec Mall fountain 100 yrs Thomas Mill, 721John Dowis
1991Port AdelaideMcKell's Flour Mill Engineers Timpson StreetClosed,
1991BirkenheadGMH Birkenhead Demolished,
1991Port AdelaideNew Library Opened Church/Dale Sts Cr.,
1991SemaphoreUpstairs portion of former Odeon Star Theatre reopened 19 December as the Odeon Star Cinema (later expanded to ground floor).,
1992BirkenheadAnchor. Pres. by Keith Leleu, 10Aug. '95 erect.
1992PortlandWellington St Kindergarten, Closed
1992SemaphoreSemaphore and Fort Glanville Tourist Railway; a 457mm gauge steam-powered railway, opened on the foreshore in December.,
1993Port AdelaideSubmarines, Submarine construction began. First sub launched by Lady Phyllis Collins
1993Port AdelaideTimber Mills, Globe. Reid Bros. Barretts. Lloyds. Cowell Bros. Wadlow. Gunnersen LeMessurier.
1994BirkenheadAnchor. Pres. by Keith Leleu, 6Aug. '95 erect.
1994Port AdelaideRegency Institute of TAFE, Moved to Mundy St.8
1994Port AdelaidePost Office moved, St Vincent St. To Old Port Canal
1994SemaphoreNew Library Established, Old Institute BuildingWas Ozone Th.
1994ExeterDerrick Memorial, UnveiledRod Sawford
1994SemaphoreSemaphore Mainstreet Association formed.,
1995Port AdelaideIsland Seaway was once Kangaroo Is. Ferry, 611Sold to Malta
1995SemaphoreLefevre Community Hospital, Closed7
1995Port AdelaideP.A.Centre Heritage Survey, McDougall & Vines
1995Port AdelaideJervois Br. Keeper's Gallery, Inst. Engin. Plaque
1995PortlandP. A. Girls' High School, Closed
1996Port AdelaideP.A./Enfield Councils Merge, City of P.A./Enfield3
1996SemaphoreTimeball Tower Renovated, Resumed Operation71
1996OsborneHMAS Collins, 1st Submarine Commissioned7
1996Port AdelaideQueen Adelaide Launched, Twin Hulled7
1996PortlandMeals on wheels Kitchen, Langham Place8
1996Port AdelaideMagpies Football Club, West Lakes1034th SANFL Pre
1996Port AdelaideCanary Is. Palms planted, Comm. Rd. Median11Main St. Prog.
1996OsborneHMAS Fancomb launched, Second Submarine12
1996SemaphorePalais Re-opened Restored,
1996Alberton43rd Batt. Drill Hall Demol., Cr. Sussex/ Angus
1996SemaphoreProtector Gun, Removed from f/shorTo North Parade
1997Port AdelaideSheds Nos 2 and 3, Demolished2
1997OsborneHMAS Waller Launched, Submarine Corp.3
1997Port AdelaideUndergrounding Powerlines, Commercial Road4Stage 1
1997Port AdelaidePort Adel/Enfield Civic Centre, Opened Sir E. Neal119
1997PeterheadCouncil Depot Closed, Tracey Street
1997Port AdelaideFour PAHS Plaques, UnveiledMayor Stock
1998Port AdelaideFisherman's Memorial, North Par. Dockside430
1998Port AdelaideFishermen Memorial, Memorial to Fishermen
1999Port AdelaideWool Sale, Last conducted723
1999OsborneOsborne House changed to, Lefevre Community Centre810Mayor McCluskey
1999Port AdelaideMagpies Football Club, West Lakes10435th SANFL Pre
1999OsborneB' Power Plant, Demolished11
1999BirkenheadWar Memorial restored, Naval ReserveFrom Dockyard 1920s
1999Port AdelaideTour Down Under, Stage 4 Black Diamond Squ.
1999Port AdelaideS.A. Troops to Boer War, Departure MemorialBlack Dia. Squ.
2000SemaphoreSemaphore Park and Ethelton Schools, Combined131Westport Primary
2000SemaphoreBaptist Church Sold, Sem4 Road326
2000Port AdelaideDulux Paint factory, Comm. Rd/Lipson St4Demolished
2000AlbertonBaptist Church, Port Road Sold78
2000BirkenheadHMAS Encounter, Naval Reserve sold, 7
2000Port AdelaideAustralian Museum of Childhood, Dale Street, 9Alan Griffiths
2000Port AdelaideMagpies Football Club, Westlakes, 10336th SANFL Pre
2000Port AdelaideOlympic Torch Relay, Through most dist.114
2000Port AdelaideUniting Church 150th Ann., Cong. Comm. Rd.114
2000Port AdelaideClubhouse Hotel Saint Vincent Street demolished. (Closed 1993), 11
2000AlbertonRailway footbridge, Repaired & Restored,
2000Port AdelaideTauondi College, Grand Junction Road opened (formerly Port Adelaide Primary School), 616includes new Building
2001SemaphoreCommonwealth Bank Semaphore Road closed, 330
2001SemaphoreNational Australia Bank Semaphore Road closed., 418
2001Port AdelaideGarden Is. Ship's Graveyard Officially opened., 8
2001Port AdelaideMaritime Heritage Trail. Garden Island, 8
2001Outer HarborNo. 4 Shed demolished,
2002EtheltonMaritime Heritage Trail, Five plaques unveiled, 925PAHS financed
2002OsborneLefevre Comm. Centre, Upgrade opened by Govenor Eric Neale,
2002SemaphorePAHS Society Rooms,Ceiling collapse, Council repaired
2002Port AdelaidePort Dock Railway Museum, Comm. R/ways Pay.
2008Semaphore
Birkenhead
Port River Expressway road bridge opened to traffic 3 August; making Semaphore more directly accessible to the northern suburbs.,
2013Port AdelaideLoop Path Completed, runs along the foreshore on the north & south side of Birkenhead Bridge.,
41
2014Port AdelaidePort Adelaide Precinct Plan published.
A long-term framework to guide and prioritise renewal activities over the next 20 years.,
11
2016Port AdelaideState Government Office announced.
21-25 Nile Street in Port Adelaide is a new six level building located in the commercial and civic heart of the Port Adelaide Waterfront Precinct,
520
2016Port AdelaideQuest Apartment Hotel opened, 103 rooms & 5 Storeys High, 1124$24 million Complex
2020Port AdelaideBirkenhead Bridge Upgrade completed, Timber roadway deck replced114
2020Port AdelaideDock one Redevelopment, 1st Residents move in1130
2020Port AdelaideColac Hotel redevelopment gets underway in Port Adelaide. 14 Apartments & Hotel upgrade to be built on Southern side of the property., 12
2021Port AdelaideDolphin Explorer ceased operation in Port Adelaide.109Sold and moved to Brisbane