This refinery was opened in 1891 and suffered a disastrous fire in 1926, which burned for several days. The factory was closed in 1991 and demolished in 1993.
The photograph, an aerial view taken by Darrian Smith, was taken in 1956 and depicts the C.S.R. factory, and also the E&WS pipe works on the right. The ‘Poul Carl’ is shown berthed at the Musgrave Wharf