About Port Adelaide
South Australia’s first port was declared as Port Adelaide in 1837 and the ensuing 178 years have seen changes in position and fluctuating fortunes.
Port Adelaide grew from the construction of Commercial Road across the tidal flats to join the “Road to the Port” at Alberton which connected to the McLaren Wharf (named after the manager of the South Australian Company) and what was the deeper water which would become Port Adelaide’s Inner Harbor.
Running from this wharf was a bridge (the first in the Colony) that connected to North Parade and the Government wharf named Queen’s.
North Parade became the early shopping precinct of the town and, as the levels were raised the original levee became known as St Vincent Street. The name was taken from Admiral John Jervis, Earl of St Vincent, who defeated the Spanish navy in 1797 off Cape St Vincent on the south west tip of the Atlantic coast of Portugal. Matthew Flinders gave the name St Vincent to the gulf that became the major seaway to Port Adelaide.