Address: 47 – 61 Sussex Street, Alberton
Title: Former Shops
State Heritage ID: 14371, 14439 and 14440
These shops once served as an important centre for residents of Alberton and nearby suburbs. Believed to have been constructed in the 1890s and 1910s, the shops retain much original detail including rendered masonry and glass and timber shopfronts. While the different parapets identify the two periods, the wide corrugated iron veranda which leads to the railway station links them. Over the years the shops included a bakery, grocery, fruiterer, drapery, pharmacy, hairdresser, boot maker, fish shop and sweet shop.
The Pines, 2B Gurney Terrace, Enfield
Title: Dwelling (The Pines)
State Heritage ID: 14288
Built in the 1850s for Charles French Folland on 80 acres of land he purchased from John Morphett, this dwelling is a fine example of early colonial architecture. The house is on two levels, with an unusual feature being its subterranean level, which houses a complete set of rooms. The surrounding land was developed into a profitable agricultural estate, producing barley, wheat, oats, vines, fruit trees, and vegetables. The house stayed in the Folland family for over 90 years, and remains largely as originally built.
Address: 23 Denman Street, Exeter
Title: Former Port Adelaide and Lefevre Peninsula Cooperative Society Ltd Store
State Heritage ID: 22794
Constructed in the 1880s for the Port Adelaide and Lefevre Peninsula Cooperative Society, the building’s raised parapet and tall arched shop-front windows are indicative of its use for several years as commercial premises providing groceries and other necessities to members of the Cooperative and the local residents of Exeter. Cooperative societies were formed by local communities to assist their members to save and provide money for purchasing their own homes, and for funeral, sickness and unemployment benefits.
Rosewater Terrace, Ottoway (Agnes Street, Ottoway)
Title: St Maximilian Kolbe Catholic Church
State Heritage ID: 27753
This Church is named after St Maximilian Kolbe, a Polish saint and martyr who died in Auschwitz Concentration Camp Auschwitz Birkenau during World War Two. The building’s design imitates the shape of the traditional Polish ‘Podhale’ (mountaineer hut), symbolising protection for the largely Polish congregation. The Church also features a mosaic, designed by Stan Ostoja-Kotkowski, which is a tribute to the survivors of World War Two and a reflection of their suffering, and stained-glass windows which represent the sacrifices of those condemned to concentration camps.
Address: 502-494 Churchill Road, Kilburn
Name: Former Tubemakers Administration Buildings (No.1 and No.2)
State heritage Numbers:
Administration Building No 1: 26303
Until the mid-1930s all steel tubing was imported into Australia. As secondary industries expanded there became a need for Australia to manufacture its own. In 1938 Tube Investments (UK) announced they would set up a factory at Kilburn to produce tubular steel. Built in 1939 and extended in 1940-42, Building No. 1 provided administration facilities for the Directors, Management and Staff of British Tube Mills who, along with neighbouring industries, provided essential materials for World War Two.
Administration Building No 2: 26325
Until the mid-1930s all steel tubing was imported into Australia. As secondary industries expanded there became a need for Australia to manufacture its own. In 1938 Tube Investments (UK) announced they would set up a factory at Kilburn to produce tubular steel. Built in 1941, Administration Building No. 2 provided canteen facilities for the Directors, Management and Staff of British Tube Mills. British Tube Mills became Tubemakers in 1982 and then Stewart and Lloyds in 1984.
Address: 1-15 Fisher Street Port Adelaide
Title: Former Dalgety’s Wool Store
State Heritage Number: 14349
This building was constructed in 1938 with a saw-tooth roof to maximise lighting, ventilation and coolness. The ground floor had a road through the centre and was designed to receive wool on one side for sorting and weighing, and dispatching it on the other. The first floor featured re-classing appliances, offices, storage space, and luncheon and dressing rooms. The top floor was “one of the best show floors in Australia, due to the excellent lighting”, where over 5,000 bales of wool could be inspected by buyers.
Address: 1 Church Place Port Adelaide (St Vincent Street, Port Adelaide)
Title: St Paul’s Anglican Church
State Heritage ID: 11893
In January 1841 captain Charles Sturt drove the first pile of the wooden building known as ‘St. Paul’s on the piles’ making St. Paul’s the third oldest Anglican parish in Adelaide. In 1851 a replacement stone church was erected. The present St. Paul’s was built in 1905 through a generous gift from Samuel Tyzack who also donated the stained glass windows. The Lady Chapel (1915) and the War Memorial (1919) were added later.
Address: 62 College Street Port Adelaide
Title: Former De Souza Bakery
State Heritage ID: 14350
William Henry Oldfield probably occupied these premises in the 1880s, and they served as Oldfield’s Bakery until the early 1930s, when Robert and Alice De Souza rented and in 1941 purchased the bakehouse and residence. The De Souza Bakery was famous for its pies and pasties until it closed in 1988. The former bakery residence features a distinctive curved verandah to protect the displayed baked goods and a rear carriage entrance for carts
Title: Former D & J Fowler Warehouse
State Heritage ID: 10942
This purpose-built warehouse, with a street frontage to both Santo Parade and St Vincent Street, was built as a bulk store for D & J Fowler Ltd, Wholesale Manufacturing, Grocers and Merchants, and completed in 1881. It fronted the ‘New Dock’ (opened 1880). Notable features included extensive cellars, five hydraulic lifts, a hoist, an overhead traversing crane, a railway line through the building and a raised ground floor for ease of loading trollies and railway trucks. Fowlers sold it in 1942.
Address: 11 & 13 Divett Street, Port Adelaide
Title: Divett Chambers Offices (originally the Advertiser Building) 1881
State Heritage ID: 10921
The Advertiser Buildings, constructed in 1881 for the owners of one of Adelaide’s major daily newspapers, was designed to provide offices for the newspaper and for rent. Hence it was divided into two wings, each with their own entrance, staircase and ornamental iron gates leading into a central hallway with offices on either side. The Advertiser’s chief rival, the South Australian Register, destined to be acquired by the Advertiser many decades later, had its offices nearby. The building was renamed Divett Chambers in the mid-1930s.
Address: 15 Divett Street, Port Adelaide
Title: Former Bank of Australasia, Port Adelaide Branch
State Heritage ID: 10920
Located in the commercial centre of Port Adelaide, this building was completed in 1891 for the Bank of Australasia’s Port Adelaide Branch and incorporated a bank, the manager’s residence, and sundry offices to let. The bank faced Divett Street and part of Lipson Street, the offices, Lipson Street. Sold privately in 1916, it later became the offices of Shipping Agents, R. Fricker and Co. Ltd, well known for their involvement in the South Australian coastal trade from 1901 to 1982.
Address: 30 Commercial Road, Port Adelaide
Title: Former Port Adelaide Customs House
State Heritage ID: 10882
Designed by George Thomas Light in 1877, and constructed by Williams and Cleave, this building was completed in 1879. It was initially the home of the Customs Department and Marine Board and was the third Customs House in Port Adelaide. Constructed in the Victorian Italianate style of bluestone with freestone dressings, it has extensive cellars and an observation tower, and is built on timber footings on reclaimed land. It occupies the site of the original (1840) one.
Address: 30 Commercial Road, Port Adelaide.
Title: Former Port Adelaide Institute (Later a part of the Customs House)
State Heritage ID: 10949
Completed in 1876, this purpose-built Institute building housed a library, reading rooms, residence for the librarian, book bindery and classrooms. In addition, its general museum (founded 1871) became Australia’s first nautical museum when refocused in 1933, and its Art Gallery (opened 1880) was Australia’s first regional gallery. It also opened one of Australia’s early Juvenile Libraries in 1901. In 1959 the Institute moved to new premises and this building was incorporated into the adjacent Customs House. The Port Adelaide Public Library superseded the Institute in 1979
Title: Masonic Temple and Shops
State Heritage ID: 10981
The Port Adelaide Masonic Centre is constructed in the Egyptian Revival style, in the shape of an Egyptian Temple. The architect was C W Rutt and the builder E. Colgate, both of whom were Freemasons. The shape of the building is the Ancient Egyptian Hieroglyph for “Temple”. Incorporated into the design of the main entrance are symbols consistent with Freemasonry i.e. the Square and Compass, the “Winged Disk” and the “All seeing Eye” which is flanked by two pillars with “Celestial and Terrestrial Globes” on top.
Address: 169 Commercial Road, Port Adelaide
Title: Port Adelaide Uniting Church (former Congregational Church)
State Heritage ID: 11189
The life of the Port Adelaide Congregational Church began on 13 November 1849. The congregation met in 2 successive buildings before the present church was built. This Church was designed in the Gothic Revival style by architect James MacGeorge, and built by Frank Reynolds. The Foundation Stone was laid on 16 July 1867, and the opening held on 13 December 1868. By 1973, the Port Adelaide United Parish (Congregational-Methodist) was formed, which subsequently became part of the Uniting Church in Australia in 1977.
Address: Black Diamond Square, Port Adelaide
Name: Former South Neptune Island (originally Port Adelaide) Lighthouse
This wrought iron latticework lighthouse was prefabricated by Chance Brothers of England. It was erected at the entrance to the Port River and first lit in 1869. In 1901 it was dismantled, and the lantern and optics installed in a new lighthouse on Wonga Shoal, off Semaphore. The iron structure was re-erected on South Neptune Island, off Port Lincoln, with a new lantern, serving there until 1985. In 1986 the lighthouse was restored and reassembled on this site by the South Australian Maritime Museum.
Address: 126 Lipson Street, Port Adelaide
Name: SA Maritime Museum (former Elder’s Bond & Free Stores
Built as bonded and free stores for Elder & Co. (predecessor of Elder, Smith & Co.) in the 1850s, these buildings are impressive examples of early warehouses. Bonded warehouses allowed merchants to store their goods until they were sold, deferring the payment of customs duties. Free stores held goods on which duty had already been paid. Since 1986 the warehouses have been home to the South Australian Maritime Museum
Address: 117 Lipson Street, Port Adelaide
Name: Weman’s Sailmaker’s Shop
Henry Weman built this loft and shop front in the 1870s to expand on his successful ships chandlery and sail making business. The ground floor housed the Chandlery’s assortment of nautical essentials including tar, pitch, whale oil, tools, leather goods and other galley supplies. The first-floor workshop, built for sail making, features large double doors used for loading raw materials into the loft and finished sails out. In the 1980s the building was restored for use by the new South Australian Maritime Museum.
Address: Jane Street, Port Adelaide
Name: Former Weman’s Warehouse and Sail Loft
Constructed in the 1870s, Henry Weman’s warehouse was built to store sail making materials and bulky ships stores. Henry Weman & Co. traded as sailmakers, ships’ chandlers, riggers, grocers and general storekeepers until 1906, when the buildings were occupied by L.E. Small, French Polishers and Furniture Repairers. Goods were loaded using the large loading doors and first-floor hoists. The warehouse and adjacent shop were joined in the 1980s when they were restored for use by the new South Australian Maritime Museum.
Address: 40 Blackler Street, Semaphore
Title: Dwelling (former Semaphore Water Tower)
State Heritage ID: 10883
The first (1878) Jervois Bridge across the Port River also carried pipes to supply Lefevre Peninsula with water. However, whenever the bridge swung open to allow boats to pass through, Peninsula folk had no water. This 30m high octagonal tower, with walls two metres thick at the base, supported a 66,000 gallon (300,000 litre) tank to maintain the water pressure. In 1898 a main from the new Happy Valley Reservoir provided the Peninsula a permanent water supply that did not cross the bridge!
Address: 43 Semaphore Road, Semaphore
Title: Dwelling, Warrinilla (formerly Doctor Bollen’s Surgery)
State Heritage ID: 11864
Warrinilla (restful sleeping place) was purpose-built as a doctors surgery and residence for Dr. Percival and Elizabeth Bollen in 1894. Built by J Cleave for £1500, the house served as a surgery for Dr. Bollen, later his son, Dr. Kenneth Bollen, and from 1954, Dr. Vivian Lee Hawke. Original interior joinery and external decorative detail including rendered quoins and window surrounds, paired eave brackets, and cast iron work on the balcony and verandahs have all been retained.
Address: 86 Esplanade, Semaphore
Title: Semaphore Palais
Officially opened by the Mayor of Port Adelaide (Mr H Slade) on 23 December 1922, the Palais was built to complement the existing recreational complex surrounding the jetty entrance. Constructed as a Bathing Pavilion, Palais and Cafe by Messrs. Dunn and Fricker, the lower story had lockers for 500 bathers and changing cubicles for 110 people. The second floor comprised the café, kitchen and a very large dance floor with access to the roof garden.
Address: 74 Esplanade, Semaphore
Title: Former Semaphore Customs Boarding Station
State Heritage ID: 10922
The Boarding Station, completed in 1883, is significant for representing the period before Outer Harbor opened (1908), when the Semaphore Anchorage was the ‘outer harbour’ for Port Adelaide. Customs boarding officers, postal workers, pilots, signal station staff and journalists were all based at Semaphore to serve newly-arrived vessels. The Signal Station, pilots’ accommodation and Mailing Station that occupied the opposite corner are long gone, leaving the Boarding Station, Timeball Tower (opposite) and Jetty as the most notable reminders of Semaphore’s former shipping functions.
Address: 247 St. Vincent Street Port Adelaide
Title: Railway Hotel
State Heritage ID: 10932
The Railway Hotel was first licensed in 1856 and is one of a handful of buildings that survive from the Port’s second decade of settlement. It was then across the road from the terminus of colony’s first steam-powered railway, which linked Adelaide with its port. Its first licensee was William Wooldridge. In 1907 the hotel was advertised as providing good accommodation for visitors with the best brands of spirits, wines and beers, and ales drawn through glass pipes and silver pumps.
Address: 114 Lipson Street, Port Adelaide
Title: Dwelling (Former Bank of Adelaide, Port Adelaide Branch)
State Heritage ID: 10755
An outstanding Queen Anne style bank building from the 1880s boom period. It was designed by James Haslam C.E. and completed in 1885 by Kestel and Burge (Builders) for £3,555. The façade features Mitcham freestone and cement dressing, whilst the back elevation has two red brick turrets on either side, each containing a hand-hewn spiral staircase. The bank entrance is via a large framed and moulded cedar lobby with parquetry edging on the floor, which leads into the 16ft. high banking-room. History: Bank of Adelaide (1877); Restaurant (1981); Private Residence-B&B Hegson (2005)