Each generation continue to search for a method of preserving the names and memories of ancestors, family and friends. The Port Adelaide Historical Society offers an ideal answer with their memorial pathway.
The opportunity to keep a permanent memory can be secured in the Society’s Portonian Walk, part of the Port Adelaide Pioneer Park at Alberton. Pioneer park is open to the public but many have no knowledge of it as it lies hidden behind housing on four sides. Tourist signs were erected on the corners of Port Road/Parker Street and Coburg Road/William Street to assist visitors through the efforts of of Port Adelaide Historical Society and the Port Adelaide Enfield Council. Access from Parker Street is by a set of steps, and from William Street by a pathway between the house numbered 10 and unit 8/16.
The area is the original site of the Alberton Cemetery: four acres of Section 1300, Hundred of Yatala, granted to Captain Dean Farrell and Mr Woodcock on November 11, 1847. Later the cemetery was ceded as Glebe Lands by the Government to the Anglican Church of St Paul the Apostle at Port Adelaide. At that time, 166 years ago, the four acre cemetery was a salt swamp on two sides, as was the land to the north as far as the wharves. The area ceased as a working cemetery when closed to new leases in 1874 and the last burial took place more than 70 years ago. A historic list of burials was made by Reverend Ross prior to 1990 and details of the approximately 3,000 people interred and information about them can be obtained from the Port Adelaide Historical Society, PO Box 254, Port Adelaide 5015.
The cemetery was restored as an open space by the Port Adelaide Council in 1990 and the plan for a memorial path was adopted, with assistance from the Council and Society, in answer to repeated requests for a permanent method of remembrance.
The Portonian Walk now created in the Pioneer Park at Alberton offers more than a name recorded in stone and embedded in history. The names are now reinforced by a permanent data-base that will keep the name, the memory and the years safely available for future generations. It is not necessary that one of your ancestors must have been buried in the Alberton Cemetery to enable an engraved paver to be laid, any deceased Port Adelaide resident can be permanently remembered with a paver showing their name and details.
The names of families have previously been etched on a grey cement paver measuring 230 mm square. These pavers were placed in the Portonian Walk and served as a graphic reminder of our ancestors. However, the cement paver lettering has weathered and worn, severely in many cases. To replace a weathered cement paver with an engraved granite paver, the cost is $40.00. A new “granite” paver can be supplied and installed for $80.00. Payment can be made by EFT to Westpac Bank BSB 035-031, account No. 159268.
To make an application to place an engraved paving stone please provide, on a separate piece of paper, the details of your name , your address and phone number together with the lines to be engraved. The engraving is limited to three lines of fifteen characters each (including
spaces). Other details for the data-base can be supplied separately.
They are available to all to commemorate the one-time residents of the district.
All reservations to be made with the Port Adelaide Historical Society Incorporated, PO Box 245, Port Adelaide 5015. All proceeds from the sale of paving stones will be devoted to the upkeep of the Portonian Walk. Shown below is a form to assist in applying for a registration.
Shown here is a map of the area surrounding the Port Adelaide Pioneer Park. As marked the area lies at the intersection of Port Road and Grand Junction Road. Easiest access is from William Street, and the area is open to pedestrian traffic at most times. Public transport is available by the bus lines running to Port Adelaide from the City of Adelaide.
The Port Adelaide Historical Society also offers advice and research on matters pertaining the history and residents of the district of Port Adelaide. Information regarding these matters can also be obtained from the Port Adelaide Library Historical Section www.portenf.sa.gov.au